Monday 9 February 2015

Who I am when it comes to training - low carb high fat training



I am a true gym junkie even if one cannot tell yet. Work, kids and bad sleep has made my fitness plan impossible to fulfill. Ever since kids arrived I have had endless of colds wintertime. I hope those days are over now....kids moving out, I am sleeping better and I eat much more food. On the other hand I am born 1961 one and the "menopaus hormon game" has started making my muscle growing harder. Last six months I have made sure I eat enough with MyFitnessPal.

I have exercised at gyms since 1982. Then six times per week with my x-hubby as coach. He was at that time then owner of a gym. I did it the carb way.

Since 2009 I eat low carb. That means about 15-50% carbs , 15-25% protein and 72-82% fat per day, I feel terrific. I sleep better, I train better, I recover quicker, I hardly never get lactic acid since I depend on fat burning, I have never had any problem with brain functions - those are related to start-up problems until body gets fat adapted.



The only backside I have found is morning cramps that can be caused by "dehydration" since I do not have that much glycogen in the muscles as before. But it could also be a matter of age, lack of minerals and too much coffee. Sometimes I need to add electrolytes to feel really good.

Current exercise

I train 6 times per week competitive swim training and gym for the moment. I do three days of swimming but currently only with arms since my knees are damaged. I do 1500 meters each night - frestyle lapses only. At the gym I do a three split routine.

Energy and stamina

I can manage 60 minutes bodypump plus 60 minutes hard gym without glycogen depletion. I can dance salsa for 3-4 hours with cheese as only extra energy source (that effort corresponds to a half marathon when it comes to effective dance time). Many of my LCHF friends esteem their glycogen depot to two hours hard training too. The body preserves the glycogen longer when living the LCHF way since the body prefer fat as fuel.

When preparing for long training sessions I always reduce carbs to a minimum. My body has difficulties to change from "mainly carb burning" to "mainly fat burning". With just a little too much carbs I get lactic acid very easily. Without carbs fat burning engine is well prepared to manage whatever I do.

The muscles can burn fat internally stored in muscles. The body can use freshly eaten fat very easily in muscles (especially legs) without conversion to glucose/glycogen or keton bodies. It has harder to use the body storage for fat burning but when low intensity training most people manage. When dancing salsa I peak at burning about 700 calories per hour but only for ten minutes at a time

Before and during long sessions I add extra fat to my meals. During training I eat cheese since that also gives me salt.

This summer I tried HIIT training without any energy problems. The only problem I had was to fall a sleep a few hours later. Cortisol level was too high too long (a problem well non for carb eaters too)

1 year and three months on LCHF, shoot 2010 and 2011
Weight loss is just a few kilos. 

But blood vessels then?

Blood fats, triglycerids etc are excellent by the way,...don´t worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment